Friday, August 8, 2008

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood: (BLEU EGG SALAD & BACON SANDWICH)

What a gorgeous day here on the Eastern Shore. I have considered it a success against Delmarva Power yet again by opening the house up and shutting off the window units. Yay! In a span of just three months the electric bill went up $100.00. I'd sure like to have that in my checkbook right now. Summer vacation and a sailboat sorta have dwindled the funds. I REALLY use coupons at the grocery store now!

Not too much time to be wasted (no offense) here. It literally feels like April, well, maybe May around here. The garden needs to be watered and I haven't been the best parent sometimes. I didn't water yesterday and now I feel terrible. Everybody out there looks good though and I should get marching soon to water or they might change their minds(being the plants that is) and revolt (meaning: die).

I didn't get a chance to eat breakfast this morning, which is my favorite meal. I wake up starving and if I don't eat I can get cranky. I feel like Nicole Ritchie looks. Hungry. I went to the grocery store this morning and stocked up as much as I could without getting too crazy. Never. I repeat, never go grocery shopping when you're hungry. All of a sudden even Maraschino cherries look good (and I hate cherries...well those kind). So, I brought home two dozen eggs. Two dozen eggs because I'm trying the South Beach diet. That's a lot of eggs you may say but that's the main "go to" food for me right now. No excuses here, but, really, I've had a heck of a time since really quitting smoking with an ever expanding "spare tire". Ugh. And I hate my arms too but that's another time. So anyway, South Beach seemed nicer than Adkins to me. So, I've just boiled six eggs and am looking for a good egg salad recipe. For lunch, now. Crap I'm hungry. Here's what I came up with from Recipezaar:

Bleu Egg Salad and Bacon Sandwich (Recipe #33821)

Ingredients:

6 eggs, hard boiled,cooled and peeled
1/4 cup celery, diced
4 1/2 tablespoons crumbled bacon
1 tablespoon diced scallion
2 fluid ounces bleu cheese salad dressing

Directions:

1. Coarsely chop the eggs and combine them with the celery, bacon, scallion and bleu cheese dressing in a mixing bowl; stir well.
2. Keep chilled until just before serving.
3. Spread the salad evenly, topped with lettuce and tomato, on your choice of rolls or bread.


I won't use bread of course and based on the user's comments I think I'll use an additional tablespoon of real crumbled bleu cheese too. I have reduced fat bleu cheese dressing and I dithered whether to use that (as called for in the recipe) or, maybe, just add two tablespoons of my treasured Hellman's Light mayo instead with the bleu cheese crumbles. Decisions decisions. I bought turkey bacon this morning so I'll use that too in place of real bacon. It's just two weeks of induction people! I can and will survive. Besides, if I'm hungry enough I'll eat just about anything, except maraschino cherries.

Post Script
I tweeked the above recipe and used:

6 hard-boiled eggs
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. onion powder (I had no scallion)
3 turkey bacon strips, crumbled
3 Tbsp. Light mayo (Hellman's)
2 Tbsp. crumbled bleu cheese
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

No comments: