Friday, January 30, 2009

One of Laura's many favorites: (GARLIC AND OREGANO POTATO CHIPS)

I suppose the term "favorite" implies preferring one thing above all other items. I suppose, again, I have slaughtered the true meaning of yet another word. Well, I love a lot of things: potato chips, garlic, fresh herbs, tator tots (I'm starchy ehh?), Bearnaise sauce, most anything grilled, huge green salads (whew, there's something healthy), balsamic vinegar, chocolate, herbal teas, kittens, warm weather, the smell of a fresh plowed field, sunrises, sunsets.....I could go on forever and it's probably very boring to anyone else. So to get back on track, and while I was thinking of Superbowl Sunday, I had remembered my garlic and herb potato chips that I had made a while back for my son's Birthday. They're so easy it's illegal and everyone will scarf them up to be sure. Well, we did anyway.

I can't remember where I had originally seen this idea but I took the premise and ran with it. It's unhealthy but out-of-this-world addictive to eat.

You can use any herb you prefer or have on hand. I used fresh chopped oregano from my garden. The potato chips are also a preference but I ALWAYS use kettle chips.

Garlic and oregano potato chips:

Ingredients:

1 regular sized bag of potato chips (kettle chips are the best)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 to 1/3 cup fresh garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh herbs, chopped
Sea salt
Fresh cracked pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. Empty the bag of chips into a large sized bowl big enough to be able to stir all the ingredients together without overflow.

3. In a medium-sized saucepan heat the olive oil and the garlic together and bring both up to a medium heat without sizzling the garlic but enough to season the oil. Heat for 2-3 minutes watching constantly.

4. Remove the oil and garlic from the heat and allow to cool slightly. You're only shooting for a garlic seasoned oil. Add your herbs.

5. Keeping a wooden spoon ready, add the garlic-oil-herbs to the chips and stir to evenly distribute.

6. Pour the chips onto a large flat pan and make sure the chips are all evenly placed and not laying on top of each other. Place the pan of chips in the oven and bake for no longer than 5-6 minutes, watching carefully.

7. After removing the chips from the oven add the sea salt and the pepper, to taste.

8. Let cool (the chips will firm up more as they sit) and pour into a serving vessel.

9. Pig out with a great semi-dry rose wine.

No comments: