Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snowy day fun: (CHICKPEA FLOUR PIZZA)

For some reason unknown to me I purchased chickpea flour in the organic section of the grocery store recently. I had no clue what to do with it until I started messing around on Recipezaar. I found a recipe for chickpea flour pizza and decided to monkey around with the ingredients. Chickpea flour on it's own tastes like crap. I seriously thought I had made a major mistake buying it. After it was mixed with other ingredients and cooked it redeems itself though. With this recipe you will definately need an ovenworthy skillet/pan to finish the pizza under the broiler. I used my cast iron skillet which worked wonderfully. I didn't stick to the original recipe and forged one on my own with ingredients that I had on hand. The chickpea batter is fodder for whatever you may want to put into it. I don't think you can make any mistakes with it. This recipe is for 2 pizza's which was certainly needed for a young hungry boy sitting inside on a snow day.

Chickpea flour pizza:

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cup chickpea flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
olive oil

Directions:

1. Sift chickpea flour and salt together over a medium bowl.

2. Add the water and stir with a whisk to prevent clumps.

3. Let the batter rest for 30 minutes and preheat your oven's broiler; set the rack on the lower third of the oven.

4. After 30 minutes stir in the oregano and garlic powder into batter.

5. Heat your oven-worthy pan on medium-high on the stove and cover the bottom well with the olive oil.


6. Ladle some batter into the pan and swirl to cover all sides evenly.

7. Let cook until the batter bubbles and the sides are beginning to brown. At this point I swirl some hoagie oil over the top and crack some fresh pepper over the oil.


8. Using whatever topping you desire place these on top of the cooked batter but don't overcrowd. I used blue cheese, genoa salami, and thin sliced red onion.

9. Place the "pizza" under the broiler and cook until the toppings are bubbly.


No comments: