Thursday, March 19, 2009

Grillen and chillen: (LIME, BUTTER, & OLIVE OIL SAUCE)

Hurry Spring! The warm weather can't arrive fast enough for me. Last night I fired up the grill for the asparagus and London Broil I had bought at Safeway for dinner. Sure, grill your food but how do you "kick it up a notch", so to speak? Then I remembered a lunch I had with Bob at Applebee's (yes Applebee's) that served broccoli with a lime olive oil-ish sauce. I loved the taste of the lime with the olive oil and thought it tasted really light and fresh. I would have licked the plate if it was socially acceptable. So, last night, instead of just plating the asparagus I thought that maybe it would be tasty with my version of the lime sauce I had with the broccoli earlier. I just plunked my imagined Applebee's ingredients in an aluminum pan and parked it over a low flame. I added the grilled asparagus after everything in the pan melted down and swooshed everything together for a minute or two until it was all warmed. If I may say so myself......well, it was pretty darned good.

Lime, butter, and olive oil sauce for the grill

Ingredients:

1 large aluminum pan
1/4 cup real unsalted butter
1/4 cup olive oil
zest of 1 lime, lightly chopped
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Pre-grill or blanch asparagus or broccoli

2. Place all the above ingredients in the aluminum pan.

3. Warm the pan over a light fire until the butter is melted.

4. Place the vegetables in the pan and warm through.

5. Eat and enjoy!

It isn't any easier for a quick grilled meal with veggies.  Now onto another idea for dinner that I have to try.  Check out this recipe from David Lebovitz. It's going to be on my table very soon.

No comments: